Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dressed for Success: Boots

I am not an expert on boots, but I can pass on advice from others:
  1. If you are debating between two sizes, pick the smaller. Boots do not shrink, but they can become packed down.
  2. If you are a woman, buy women's boots. Men's boots are higher and women's calves attach to the leg lower.
  3. Whether you buy, rent, or get a pair from a swap, listen to the people there. They know what they are doing and are there for a reason.
  4. Lastly, wear your boots around the house before the season starts.
For years, a family fall ritual has been my dad wearing his boots around the house (actually, I mostly remember him wearing them in the armchair watching football). He has always advised this, and for years I ignored him. Until last year, I did fine. My previous pair was over 10 years old, and except for them bruising my calves (men's boots!), I had no problems at the beginning of the season. Thanks to Jeff Obeshaw and the Bahnhof I was brave enough to get new boots last year! I wore them around the house a few times and I think it really helped get my feet ready for the transition. After a long dark summer in my locker, here they are ready for another fall around the house! Dad has even suggested raking leaves with them on, but I live on a busy street and I am not that brave. Also, Fred Bingman will tell you that I don't rake leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment