Sunday, November 7, 2010

Why We Ski: Nature

Whether we are noticing rabbit tracks in the snow or looking for bird nests in the trees, skiing brings us closer to nature. Even in winter, it is all around us. Sometimes we see the animals, like the porcupine at the top of the trees along the orange lift, and sometimes we just see their tracks. Sunsets, and sunrises for that matter, are amazing from a ski hill, and the first time I ever saw the Northern Lights was while night skiing. Just watching the snow fall can bring you and inner peace, unless it gets you excited for some powder turns!

One of my favorite lessons years ago got a big boost from Mother Nature. It was with a young girl who was probably 4 or 5. We weren't really hitting it off, and I could tell she just wasn't sure about this skiing thing. She had been on the verge of tears the entire lesson and things could have gone either way. We were about half way down the beginner hill standing for a moment to take break. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed something moving toward us, and at first I thought it was a leaf. With a second look I realized it was a mouse, and both of us just stared at it. It headed straight for the little girl, went right over the toes of her boots, and continued on across the hill! She looks up at me, and I look back at her. There was a pause where we both had looks of astonishment on our faces, and then we burst out laughing! The rest of the lesson went great and she loved skiing. I will never forget that moment with the mouse, how grateful I was that it came along, and how relieved I was that no one skied over it as it continued on its journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment