Saturday, January 12, 2013

Back to Nature: Weather

To paraphrase Charles Dickens, when I work up this morning I knew it could be one of the best days of the year or one of the worst days of the year. It depended on one thing: the weather. I am a weather junkie. I "Wake Up With Al" each day and always have a tab on my computer open to Weather.com. I also love my Weather Channel app. Usually I know what to expect, but the forecast for today had me baffled. Last night's reports stated "fog/drizzle" for the morning and "partly cloudy/windy" for the afternoon. The high of 48 degrees would be first thing in the morning with temperatures falling throughout the day. The day could end up damp and dreary or bright and warm. On my way to breakfast in the morning I could see a faint glow in the east! At our morning meeting there were clouds to the west, but they were moving north! Temperatures did warm up overnight, but the snowpack "set up" and hardened just enough: soft enough in the morning to get an edge but not too soft to be bad by the end of the afternoon. All things came together to give us a perfect spring skiing day in the middle of January. It was the best of times! Thank you sunshine! Now, back to the snow!

Take the poll to the right of the blog: What do you like better: sunny days or powder days?

No comments:

Post a Comment