Friday, October 1, 2010

Why We Ski: Family

One of the great things about skiing is the entire family can do it together. Not many sports can boast that. Taller and bigger family members have a decided advantage when playing most sports like soccer, basketball, and football. Smaller members can't keep up or cover the same distances as adults while biking or running. Family members from 4 to 84 can ski together.

Not only is it a sport where you can all play together, many families also work together. My family is a great example. My maternal grandparents would take their daughters and son "Up North" each weekend to the Otsego Ski Club. There they met my dad, who was a full time ski instructor. Eventually my parents married and moved to Petoskey where dad began working for the ski school at Nub's Nob. After high school I began instructing part time and my brother was a lift operator for several years. Mom has been working in the General Store for nine winters now, my aunt had a stint in the ticket office, and both of her kids taught skiing. This picture shows my cousin and I well before her instructing days, and that someone who is 18 can have fun skiing with a two year old!

3 comments:

  1. This is great, Dana... but I have put in 9 years already at the General Store!!!! Time flies when you are having fun!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Family experience at Nubs is something special, as with your family (hmmm...I know we are related)our family transcended the parents passing the torch of skiing to their children, who in turn spent countless hours on the hills instructing, encouraging,competing against and relishing great turns together. Now grown, our children are instructors, comrades in extreme skiing and looking forward to continuing the tradition of family skiing when they have children of their own.

    "Life sports" as I call them are the backbone of families. Skiing fits this bill like a glove, along with Sailing, Tennis and Golf to name a few. Remember the family that plays together, stays together!

    ReplyDelete